The new iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max models came out to set the brand on a new path. The addition of a 48-megapixel camera was another important change in this new generation, along with the Dynamic Island. Apple stuck to the same pattern for a long time, using only 12 MP in its main sensors. Fortunately, this has changed, and here is a guide for you to take advantage of.
Even though the main camera on the new iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max has a 48 MP sensor, it is not turned on by default. As a result, Apple reduces the 48 MP resolution to 12 MP. They lose some quality in the process, but the resulting images are brighter. But if you want the most detailed pictures of your friends, there is a way to do that. With this guide, you’ll be able to use all 48 MP of this iPhone 14 Pro to take photos with the best quality possible.
iPhone 14 Pro Camera Specification
Before we start talking about how to use the camera, let’s look at what it can do. The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max have three main cameras at the back:
- The 48 MP Main Camera
- The 12 MP Ultra Wide Camera, and
- The 12 MP Telephoto Camera
How To Activate 48 Mp On Your Iphone 14 Pro
As was already said, your iPhone 14 Pro sensor won’t take 48 MP photos unless you turn this setting on in Settings. Though odd, it makes sense. Since 48MP images require a lot of storage, they’re not worth it for users who just want to capture small moments. But if you want to take your photography to the next level, it’s time to turn on this feature and start taking photos in 48 MP. To do so, do the following:
- Go to the Settings menu of your iPhone.
- Here, scroll down to the bottom where you will find the Camera menu.
- Within this menu, look for the Formats section.
- Turn on the Apple ProRaw feature. Afterwards, choose the ProRaw resolution at 48 MP.
- Everything is ready here. Now, the next step is to enter the chamber itself.
How To Take Photos In 48 Mp From Your Iphone
It’s time to launch the Camera app. You can find the remaining options that let you take pictures with a higher resolution there.
- Open the Camera app on your iPhone 14 Pro.
- Look for the ProRaw icon. You’ll recognize it as an ellipse with the word ” RAW ” inside. Activate it by tapping on it.
- Now, make sure you are on 1x , as only at this level of magnification will you be able to take advantage of the 48 MP possibilities. Likewise, you will need favorable lighting conditions, and with the flash and night mode deactivated. If any of these conditions are not met, the photo will be saved in 12 MP.
If you followed all of the steps above, your iPhone 14 Pro can now take 48 MP photos. Keep in mind that at this resolution, each photo is about 67.2 MB. That is, it weighs more than 10 times as much as a 12 MP picture. So, if you have an iPhone with 128 GB of storage, turn this feature off when you’re done testing it. So, you won’t take photos that might fill up your storage too quickly in the future.