Huawei MatePad 11.5 VS MatePad 11 (2023): Full Specs Comparison Guide: Choosing the right tablet can be daunting, especially with brands releasing multiple variants of their devices. Today, let’s dive into a detailed comparison between Huawei’s MatePad 11.5 and the MatePad 11 (2023).
|MatePad 11.5-inch||MatePad 11 2023|
|Released||2023, July 22||2023, March 31|
|Dimensions||260.9 x 176.8 x 6.9 mm||253.7 x 165.3 x 7.2 mm|
|Weight||499 g||480 g|
|Additional||Stylus support||Stylus support (magnetic)|
|Display||TFT LCD, 120Hz||IPS LCD, 120Hz|
|Size||11.5 inches||11.0 inches|
|Resolution||1440 x 2200 pixels||2560 x 1600 pixels|
|OS||Harmony OS 3.1||HarmonyOS 3.1|
|Chipset||Snapdragon 7 Gen 1||Snapdragon 870 5G|
|GPU||Adreno 644||Adreno 650|
|Card slot||No||microSDXC (dedicated slot)|
|Internal||128GB 6GB RAM, |
128GB 8GB RAM
|Upto 256GB 8GB RAM|
|Rear Camera||13 MP||13 MP|
|Front camera||8 MP||8 MP|
|Loudspeaker||4 speakers||4 speakers Tuned by Harman Kardon|
|Bluetooth||Yes||5.1, A2DP, LE|
|Battery||Li-Po 7700 mAh||Li-Po 7250 mAh|
|Charging||22.5W wired||22.5W wired|
|Colors||Space Gray||Black, Blue, White, Purple|
- MatePad 11.5: Comes with the tablet, a 22.5-watt charger, a USB type-C cable, and manuals. The tablet has a sleek aluminum design.
- MatePad 11 2023: The box contains the tablet, a 22-watt charger, and the usual manuals. The tablet showcases a sleek design.
Design and Build
Huawei MatePad 11.5
- MatePad 11.5: Thin, lightweight (499 grams), made of aluminum. Features two AI-powered noise-canceling microphones. Compatible with a keyboard via pins at the bottom.
- Dimensions & Weight: This tablet measures at 260.88 x 176.82 x 6.85 millimeters and weighs a comfortable 500 grams.
- Build & Finish: Sporting a matte gray aluminum unibody with a glass front, the tablet’s design exudes a premium feel. Despite its thinness, the 14mm wide black frame provides ample space for grip, ensuring no accidental touches on the screen. The back, however, transitions to a slightly too angular edge, which may feel different to some users.
- Functional Components: The design accommodates two microphones at the top, while the power and volume buttons align near the camera corner. At the bottom, you’ll find three gold pins for the keyboard cover. On the right, there’s a USB-C port, and speakers are evenly distributed on both short sides. An interesting design choice is the camera which protrudes almost 1.5mm, causing a slight tilt when placed flat. Unfortunately, there’s no fingerprint sensor; biometric unlocking relies solely on facial recognition.
Huawei MatePad 11 (2023)
- MatePad 11 2023: Standard 11-inch screen encased in a matte finish plastic material.
- Display: Dominating the front is the 11-inch IPS screen, boasting a resolution of 2560×1600. Not only does it support a screen refresh rate of 120Hz and wide color gamut management, but it also promises fluency and vivid color reproduction.
- Paper-like Soft Light Screen: A unique feature of this tablet is its paper-like soft light screen. What does this mean? This screen undergoes a nano-scale etching process that transforms the mirror glass surface with millions of texture structures. The result? Specular reflections are softened, reducing external light interference. This not only ensures comfortable viewing but also focuses on the health of users’ eyes.
- Real-life Experience: Using the tablet, especially with the HUAWEI M-Pencil (2nd generation), is reminiscent of writing on paper. Thanks to the nano-scale etching, the screen generates more friction and minute vibrations when the pencil glides across. It feels less slippery than traditional screens and replicates the tactile feedback of writing on actual paper.
MatePad 11.5: 2.2K resolution screen with adaptive 120 hertz. Uses an IPS LCD panel with thin bezels. Equipped with four speakers (two on each side).
The MatePad 11.5” stands out with its LCD IPS display, which, while not OLED, delivers a commendable viewing experience. It’s 11.5-inch size in a 3:2 format makes it slightly elongated, but this format can result in black bars when watching videos. Its resolution is decent, though not the sharpest at 229 pixels per inch. A unique feature is the “smart resolution” that conserves power by adjusting the display resolution based on the task. Lastly, the refresh rate of up to 120 Hertz ensures a smooth, lag-free user experience.
MatePad 11 2023: IPS LCD display with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels. Operates at a consistent 120 hertz.
The Huawei MatePad 11 (2023) model, while not boasting flagship display standards, provides a robust viewing experience. Its 11-inch IPS LCD screen with a 2560 x 1600 resolution delivers crisp visuals, complemented by a 120Hz refresh rate that ensures smooth interactions. Although it doesn’t use OLED technology, the display’s brightness and viewing angles impress, catering well to users without ultra-premium display requirements.
Camera and Security
- MatePad 11.5: 8-megapixel front camera with ultra-wide lens and 13-megapixel main camera. Uses facial recognition for unlocking.
- MatePad 11 2023: 13-megapixel rear camera and 8-megapixel front camera.
Both devices sport a 13 MP rear camera. However, the MatePad 11’s camera has a slightly better aperture at f/1.8, which might offer better low-light shots. As for the front camera, while both are 8 MP, the MatePad 11.5 offers an ultra-wide 105˚ angle, ideal for group selfies or video calls.
Performance and Battery
- MatePad 11.5: Powered by the first-generation Snapdragon 7 processor with 8 GB RAM. Features a 7,700 milliamps battery without fast charging.
- MatePad 11 2023: Runs on the Snapdragon 865 processor with 6 GB RAM. Equipped with a 7,250 milliamps battery.
For those keen on gaming or heavy multitasking, the MatePad 11 could offer a slight edge in performance.
Though the MatePad 11.5 has a marginally larger battery, real-world battery performance might be influenced by factors like screen resolution and CPU efficiency.
Software and Features
- MatePad 11.5: Operates on Huawei’s Harmony OS. Lacks Google services but has Huawei Mobile Services and AppGallery. Compatible with the second-generation Huawei pencil.
- MatePad 11 2023: Also runs on Huawei’s Harmony OS. Users can access Google apps via the ‘gbox‘ application from Huawei’s AppGallery.
- MatePad 11.5: Standard version priced at 300 USD. Premium packages include additional accessories like the second-generation pencil, a Nova 11 phone, or a Huawei Watch 4.
- MatePad 11 2023: Standard package includes the tablet and keyboard. Premium packages offer the second-generation Huawei pencil and a Nova 11 phone.
Both devices do not support cellular connectivity like 4G and rely on Wi-Fi. But an edge for the MatePad 11 is its GPS feature, which the 11.5 lacks. Moreover, the MatePad 11 also offers USB on-the-go, a useful feature for connecting USB devices directly to the tablet.
- MatePad 11.5: A solid tablet with a blend of performance, design, and functionality. Suitable for students and entertainment seekers. Ensure app availability on Huawei’s AppGallery before purchase.
- MatePad 11 2023: A versatile tablet ideal for students. Offers decent performance, a keyboard, and essential app compatibility. A strong contender in the tablet market for students on a budget.
Remember, always ensure the apps you need are available on Huawei’s AppGallery before making a purchase.